Author Topic: A few examples of email scams  (Read 8754 times)

James

• WhatsTheRent.com Founder
  • Administrator
    • WhatsTheRent.com
A few examples of email scams
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:18:36 pm »
Before I founded WhatsTheRent.com, I encounter multiple scam attempts.  Here are a  couple examples of the emails scammers may send.  These are actual emails I have received over my years of renting out the rooms in my house.

Hello Roomiee....I am Sarah,but my chums called me Angel, a very reasonable and quiet person to live with, i'm friendly, very trustworthy and value relationship above anything. I love travelling, sporting and enjoy meeting people and seldomly party. I am cool headed, pretty laid back and easy going person and would like to have a roomie who is very responsible and understanding, someone i can really get along with.
However, I saw your advert and i am sincerely interested in the room advertised as i will like to move in as soon as we're able to reach an accord. Please i'll like to know the total move in cost as well as the picture of the house as i'll not be able to check out the place until my arrival, so that i can make arrangement for payment prior to my arrival since i'll be moving down from Uk as soon as i'm able to secure a comfortable room.
Thanks as i anxiously await your response
Regards
Sarah

My name is Morgreen Johnson i live in the U.K somewhere in south-east  end of london.I  am 23yrs old and still a final year student in catford college,my mum is indian and my dad is jamaican but,they are both seperated i stay with my mum. i also do some part-time modelling job, an easying going Guy, down to earth and also clean as well.  I would like to secure a place in the U.S as i will be relocating over there after my final exams here in england .I would really very much appreciate it if you could see me through this and have me as your roommate. I look forward to hearing from you so that i can tell you more about myself. Please reply me on my private email address or you can call me on this Number
Morgreen....

In all the cases above, I replied and in their next email they asked for an address to send a large check.  Some asked me if I could cash their check, then wire them money back via Western Union (Many scammers use Western Union).  So, if somebody asks you to wire them money, that should raise a red flag right there.

Also, sometimes in the email the scammer will provide an instant message username, such as Yahoo.  They will then chat with you on IM about your room, and they may actually seem like a great roommate.  I started chatting with a potential "roommate" who claimed to be a diamond dealer and a model who was in Africa.  She claimed to want to come see my room once she returned.  No problem, but then a few days later, on IM once again, she claimed that her passport and money were stolen, and asked if I could wire her money for an airplane ticket.  While we were chatting, she told me that she lived in Wisconsin all her life, so I asked her if she liked football.  She said "oh yes of course" so I asked her what the name of the football team here is, and after a long pause, she said "Dallas."  Once again, anything overseas, a model, or "wire transfer" should raise a red flag.  If a person is claiming that they are moving to your town for work, ask them for some specific information about their job.

Just remember to follow these guidelines:

- Be cautious of any users who contact you from overseas
- Never wire money using Western Union
- Never agree to send a renter a refund.  Instead, return their check to them or ask them to stop payment on it.
- Never give out any personal financial information, such as your social security number or bank account information.
- If you have received a check that you think may be fake, contact your bank, and wait two weeks before

I once tried to have a little fun with a scammer.  He was claiming to, once again, be a model from Africa (you’d think they’d pick another profession after a while) and he wanted to send me a deposit for the room.  I’m assuming it was going to be a big check (fake of course) and he would then ask for a partial refund.  I told him no problem, but I’d need $20 cash in order to pay the “check and money order deposit fee” that my bank has.  He didn’t bite unfortunately and instead tried to talk me into paying the fee for him.

Anybody else have any good stories of having some fun with the scammers?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:48:16 am by James »

James

• Administrator
    • WhatsTheRent.com
Re: A few examples of email scams
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »
Here's another one that we recently intercepted:

IMy Name is Bobby Heaton am  lecturer in university of oxford am lecturing aeorchology  final  year student i want to come to your state for research and i need a room or apartment that i will rent for the short period i will use in your state for research i will like know if apartment or room is available

I will like to know your procedure if i want to get the room

I will be grateful if you can rent apartment or room for me i will abide buy your rule and regulation...

THANKS...

Pretty bad english for a university professor!

James

• Administrator
    • WhatsTheRent.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:06:54 am »
A couple more we intercepted:

How are you doing? Guess fine I presume. Am writing you in regards to your advert on www.whatstherent.com and I'm interested in your room apartment,Am from New york Base in London England and I will be having some seminars coming up soon . Right now am working for a NonGovernment Organization on a program on children with orphans and heart related probs.
My next program/seminars will be in Your Neighbourhood  and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival to the states.I can't wait to arrive to usa and canada cause I've heard a lot about the state....Moreso I willbe staying for the period of 4-5 months, Pls do get back to me with the room description, move in rent fees for the first month, Utilitie

my name is Dr EDDIE BRIGGS FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM, I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WETHER THIS APARTMENT IS STILL AVAILABLE, IF SO PLS LET ME KNO UR TOTAL PRICE INCLUDING DEPOSIT SO THAT I CAN PREPARE YOUR PAYMENT AND THEN KNOW THE NEXT STEP.

THANX
EDDIE

James

• Administrator
    • WhatsTheRent.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:45:31 am »
Two more recent scammers looking to rent rooms from Nigeria:

Hello renter,
    i saw your add about the place you are willing to rent out, i would love to know if the place is still available. i can be reached via email at n_swillson@yahoo.com

I would love to hear from you as soon as possible.

I am Cynthia Perry from Austin Texas .I am out from the town now for a business trip in Dominican Republic,I am 28 years old now single and looking,i don't drink or smoke,i am  easy gentle,clean,honest,respectful, affectionate and I have good sense of humor.I saw your advert so i decided to email you about the room ,i must say i like to rent the place,And i am interested about it.If you are willing to Rent out the place to me then i will like you to email me the cost of the room and some more breakdown details of it to my email address at:

cindy_perry101@yahoo.com

cindy_perry101@yahoo.com

Regards,

Cynthia.

James

• Administrator
    • WhatsTheRent.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »
And another:
Hello,
I saw your advert placement of your room for rent. Do you still

have it? Please let me know the monthly payment alongside the

utilities.
I want to know the type of person you are and everything I need to

know about your apartment
toyalloyds@yahoo.com

Don't they know that the monthly payment and utilities are listed right there?  geez!